As the gateway to China, Beijing is a perfect blend of history and modernity, attracting tourists from all over the world. Due to its convenient transportation, many foreign tourists regard Beijing as the starting point of their tour in China. You can fly directly From Beijing to Lhasa, which takes only 4 and a half hours.
Flying distance from Beijing to Lhasa: 3004KM
Flying time from Beijing to Lhasa: 4-6 hours
Main airlines: Tibet Airlines & Air China
Fare: 3260RMB(ticket) + 60RMB(the airport construction fee and fuel fee) = 3320RMB
Departure airport：Beijing capital International Airport terminal T3
There are three flights a day from Beijing to Lhasa, of which TV9816/ZH3916/CA3922 is non-stop flight; CA4112/ZH4112/SC4112 takes a stopover in Chengdu.
1. The above flights information is for reference only, please contact us for the latest information on Beijing-Lhasa flight.
2. In the Off-season, airlines will cut down the number of flights according to the number of tourists. If it is a low-season trip, please contact a travel consultant in advance to check the flight status of the day you travel.
Beijing Capital International Airport Traffic Tips
Beijing Capital International Airport (IATA: PEK, ICAO: ZBAA) is 25 kilometers from downtown center and has three terminals. The T1 terminal is for Hainan Airlines Group's domestic flights (including Hainan Airlines and Grand China Airlines, Grand China Express, Capital Airlines, Tianjin Airlines); T2 terminal is for China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines, Xiamen Airlines, Shenzhen Airlines, Chongqing Airlines, Hainan Airlines (international flights), Sky Team and non-alliance foreign airlines flights. Terminal 3 is for China International Airlines, Shenzhen Airlines, Shandong Airlines, Shanghai Airlines, Sichuan Airlines, and Star Alliance, Oneworld and non-alliance foreign airlines flights.
As the Capital Airport is far from Beijing downtown area, taking a taxi can be expensive. If your budget is limited, You can choose from a variety of other ways to the airport, by subway or the airport shuttle bus, etc. The shuttle is a good choice if you are in a hurry. There are several lines of the airport shuttle bus and they are all of a reasonable uniform fare.
1. The Beijing Airport shuttle bus line basically covers most of the accommodations that Beijing tourists may choose. You are recommended to take the airport shuttle if your hotel is around the line. It costs about 20-30 yuan.
2. The airport express train to Dongzhimen requires security check. Its running time for different terminals are: T2: 6:35-23:10, T3: 6:20-22:50. The express train from f Dongzhimen to the airport runs from 6:00 to 22:30. It costs 25 yuan and it only arrives at T2 and T3 terminals. You can also take a express train from Sanyuan Bridge, and it requires security check too. So if you have a lot of luggage, the shuttle bus is not recommended. After arriving at Dongzhimen, you also need to transfer to your destination by other ways such as a subway, a bus or a taxi.
3. Taxi / Didi (taxi app)
Lhasa Gongga Airport (IATA: LXA, ICAO: ZULS) is in Jiazhulin Town in Gongga County, Shannan District, Tibet Autonomous Region. It is located on the south bank of the magnificent Yalu Tsangpo River at an altitude of 3,600 meters. It is one of the highest civil airports in the world. The Gongga Airport is not very big. There are not many flights to and from the country. Unlike many airports with several terminals in the mainland China, there is only one terminal building with one entrance and one exit in the Gongga Airport. You won’t get lost once you are at the Lhasa Gongga Airport, since you’ll have to take the only exit to get out.
Gongga Airport staff parks the airport bus about five meters away from the exit of the terminal building. There is a small pavilion on the left side of the airport terminal building, where sells was the shuttle bus ticket. The fare was 30 yuan. After purchasing the ticket, you can get on the shuttle bus to downtown Lhasa.
The starting stop of the Gongga Airport shuttle is the exit of the Gongga Airport Terminal. The terminal is the Civil Aviation Bureau at the foot of the Potala Palace.
If you take a taxi, it costs about 200 yuan (not by meter); if you share a taxi with others, it’s about 50 yuan per person.
1. Foreign tourists need to take the required documents to depart Tibet
- Passport: The passport must be within the validity period. Whether you are flying or booking a flight on the way, you need to provide the original passport when you check in at the hotel or pass the security check. Therefore, please always keep your passport at hand.
- Chinese visa: Except for tourists from the within 15 days visa-free countries, foreigners from other countries are all required to provide a valid Chinese visa.
- Tibet Permit: When getting your boarding pass and passing the airport security check, the airport staff will always check your Tibet permit. So please make sure you have your Tibet Permit ready before you fly and bring the Permit to your tour guide in Lhasa.
2. How to book an air ticket to and from Tibet?
Most tourists now book flights online through some travel service websites such as Ctrip, Qunar, or Fliggy. You can also purchase tickets on the airline's official website or on. Our company provides ticket booking service as well. It is recommended to book your ticket one month in advance to have a fair price.
3. Besides Beijing, which other cities can fly directly to Lhasa
Currently, many cities have direct flights to Lhasa, such as Chengdu, Xi'an, Chongqing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Shangri-La, etc.
4. In addition to Lhasa Gongga Airport, Which airports in Tibet can you travel to by plane?
There are five airports in Tibet. Besides Lhasa Gongga Airport, you can also fly directly from Shigatse, Nyingchi, Ngari and Chamdo. There are only a few flights to these four airports, and only a few cities have direct flights to Lhasa.
- Shigatse Peace Airport (IATA: RKZ, ICAO: ZURK): Currently only Chengdu has direct flights to Shigatse, there is one shift every day : Tibet Airlines TV9843 （07:05-09:30）. A one-way ticket costs 1900 yuan.
- Nyingchi Mainlin Airport: Currently there are direct flights from Chengdu and Chongqing to Nyingchi Mainlin Airport. There are about four flights from Chengdu to Nyingchi every morning between 6:00 and 09:00, and there are about 3 flights from Chongqing to Nyingchi. If you want to fly directly to Nyingchi, you can only transfer from these two cities.
-Chamdo Banda Airport: Both Chengdu and Chongqing have a daily flight to Chamdo, There are only a few tourists go to Chamdo since it is not a tourist attraction in Tibet.
- Ngari Gunsa Airport: Every Friday, There is a flight Lucky Air 8L9681 (07:20-11:35) from Urumqi to Ngari via Kashgar.
|Baggage||First Class||Business Class||Economical Class||Size|
|Carry-on Luggage||5kg * 2||5kg||5kg||55cm/20cm/40cm|
6. Do children have discounts on ticket purchase?
A baby ticket for Infant under two years old (based on the date of departure) is at 10% of the regular adult fare. Children who are 2 years old or older to under 12 years (based on the date of departure) will be entitled to a seat at 50% of the regular adult fare for the same flight. When purchasing a child ticket, you should provide the children and babies’ valid documents such as birth certificate and residence booklet. When purchasing a baby or child ticket, the identity information needs to be attached to the accompanying adult.
7. How to collect your paper tickets & boarding pass after purchasing a ticket online?
At present, once purchasing a ticket online, the passengers can get the boarding pass by presenting the valid documents used to book the ticket at the airport service counter. Foreigners who are flying to Tibet, should also present the valid ID documents and the Tibet Permit to check-in.
Anyone who books a tour with us is enabled to purchase discount tickets from Lhasa to Urumqi through our agency. The discount varies from 10 to 50% depending on the different time of the year. For detailed discount information, please contact our travel consultants for specific discounts information on flights to Lhasa.
Last Updated: November 19th, 2019
Foreign tourists can book air tickets from Beijing to Lhasa through ticketing platforms or ticket agents. It is not recommended to buy the tickets on the official website by yourself, cause you will be required to present your Tibet Entry Permit. Normally, the permit can be issued only 7 days before your tour to Tibet.
The air fare from Beijing to Lhasa is higher than fares from other places to Lhasa. The ticket price is about RMB3260, and the fuel cost and airport charge is RMB50. Therefore, it costs about RMB3310 to fly from Beijing to Lhasa. Due to the small number of flights from Beijing to Lhasa, there are not so many discounts all year round. And during the peak season, you have to purchase the tickets in advance, lest all is sold out.
The direct flight from Beijing to Lhasa takes 4 hours and 40 minutes; the stopover flight takes about 7 hours and 35 minutes.
There are three flights from Beijing to Lhasa every day. The earliest flight departs from Beijing Capital International Airport at 07:35 and the latest one takes off at 14:55.
Beijing currently boasts six airports, namely, Xijiao Airport, Nanyuan Airport, Shahe Airport, Liangxiang Airport, Capital International Airport and Daxing International Airport. Flights from Beijing to Lhasa take off from the Beijing Capital International Airport Terminal 3.